Week #2…Creating Without Fear™ Exercise
So what did you think of this week’s exercise? The steps were pretty simple, don’t you think? I’ve listed a few questions for you to ask yourself…the answers will provide useful information about how you experience the creative process and provide an area of focus for change in the weeks ahead:
- Did the exercise seem worthwhile?
- Did you gather your supplies together before beginning the exercise?
- Were you able to move through the steps effortlessly?
The best way to answer this question is for you to think back and ask yourself a few questions; did you find yourself asking or thinking…
- “I wonder if this is right?”
- “Would this stamp look better here or here?”
- “What sort of circles should I make?”
- “Can the colors overlap one another?”
- “I don’t know if I should place the letter stamps next to each other.”
- “Does this look good?” or “Does this look like it’s supposed to?”
- Did you put the completed exercise away right after you were finished?
- What was your first reaction to your completed exercise?
- Overall, how did you feel about the process?
Whatever your answers, please know there is no right or wrong. I’ll be explaining the reasons behind these questions next week to help you understand the methods to my madness!!!
In the meantime, I encourage you to repeat the exercise a few more times over the weekend using the same exact supplies. Similar to physical exercise, the more we integrate repetition into our creative activities, the more confidence we gain and more comfortable we become expanding upon what we’ve done before. Not only will you be amazed at how different the exercise can look while using the exact same supplies, you will most likely find yourself making creative choices without having to question yourself! And while repeating the exercise, see if you can determine the areas in which you tend to deliberate and question yourself most. This type of awareness and knowledge will help you as we move forward…
on a personal note…
Thanks so much for all of your comments and emails. While this is something that I truly believe in (because I live it!), having each and every one of you along makes the adventure all the more meaningful. I have been asked if you need to post your exercises to participate…and my answer is absolutely not! All are welcome to participate in whatever way is comfortable; whether you decide to post your exercises or not is a personal decision. Remember…it’s not the beauty of these exercises that we’re focusing on here, it’s about enjoying the creative journey no matter where it takes us. On that note, I’ve got to run to the art store, so I’ll see you next week…